Pages

Friday, June 20, 2008

WcfTestClient & TrueCrypt

What a stupid thing. I needed to test a WCF service so I fired up a WcfTestClient just to see if it can be reached. But no, the client would not start. It crashed with ArgumentNullException. :S
Then I went on a solving spree. First uninstalled .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 Beta. If anything, that should bring the workstation in line with other computers. No result.
Then I started removing other service packs, reinstalling them, removing dotnet frameworks (what a mess, shouldn't there be one framework only?). Nothing helped.
Restarted the computer, tried, and... it worked. Then I start all my startup programs and the client crashes again. Trying one by one - it shows that mounting a TrueCrypt volume pisses off the WcfTestClient and it crashes with the above mentioned exception. Too bad. Well, at least I know what's causing it and I can run the client when I need it, unmounting the TrueCrypt volumes first.

Edit: This is an issue of the Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2008. I am removing it from the workstation and the WcfTestClient is already acting better. :) At least it's not crashing, but is throwing other kind of errors. It is fun poking it while the setup process is replacing the files on the disk. Will remove both the patches which are parts of the SP1 Beta. I assume everything will be OK once the SP Beta is removed but let's wait and see.

Edit #2: Removing the SP1 Beta and reinstalling the .Net Framework 3.5 solved the first issue. The WcfTestClient has less options in the menu, I just noticed. :)
Now I get the following error:
Could not load type 'System.ServiceModel.FaultImportOptions' from assembly 'System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Has there been any progress with this issue.

Alen's Australia said...

Hi! Yes, the issue has been resolved after completely uninstalling SP1 Beta for VS 2008. I also reinstalled the VS 2008 after that. The uninstall procedure did not remove the WCFTestClient so I removed the whole VS and installed it again. Will wait for the RTM version of the Service Pack before applying.
Good luck!