Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'

I just had the following error while trying to run an ASP.Net application under IIS:

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

The situation is - I'm setting up an asp.net application to run on my local machine. Running it with a development web server was OK at first but then I needed to use my browser from another computer. This prompted me to set up the application under local IIS instead of the development web server, which accepts only local connections. Trying to set up a tunnel with an SSH server did not work.
So, to set up an application under IIS first I had to give access permissions to Network Service user to access the folder used as the root.
The second thing, that actually caused the error above, was to set up the login for Network Service in the SQL Server. No additional settings necessary at this point.
And only these two settings set up the web site for access from other computers.


2 comments:

ASP.NET newbiw said...

How is this done? Excuse my newbieness!
"The second thing, that actually caused the error above, was to set up the login for Network Service in the SQL Server."

Alen's Australia said...

Hi!

Please have a look at
http://alensiljak.blogspot.com/2010/01/in-relation-to-post-alens-notes-login.html

I have just created a step-by-step instructions as the answer to your questions. Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Alen