Pages

Friday, March 28, 2008

Installing apps to subfolders on storage card (link)



Installing apps to subfolders on storage card! - Aximsite
Installing apps to subfolders on storage card!
Have you ever tried to install apps on your storage card only to find out that your app folders are written to the root folder of the storage card? I have tons of folders on the root drive of my folder. I always wanted to have everything install under the "Program Files" folder on the storage card. Now thanks to a thread on Brighthand I can do it.

I am going to supply the instructions as I have done it. But to give the author credit I will supply the link to the thread as well.

1. On AS on the desktop, goto Tools -> Add/Remove programs. Uncheckthe "install program into the default installation folder" option.
2. Edit the registry on the PPC:
\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Apps\Microsoft Application Installer\
set fAskDest to '1'
3. Create the "Program Files" folder on the SD Card. If you have a "My Documents" folder on the root folder of the SD Card, make sure that you have the ignore_my_docs file in the root drive of the SD Card.
4. Install your app. When asked if you want to install in default location, select No. Then the option of where to install appears. Select SD Card from the dropdown. This will merely copy the install CAB over to the root drive of the SD Card. Once the copy is complete, a Save AS dialogue screen will appear on the PPC. Select the SD Card and select the folder "Program Files". The app will install to the \SD Card\Program Files folder.

Link to thread on Brighthand

No comments: