Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Changing Mouse Cursors in Gnome 3.2

Thanks to good people out there, here are instructions on how to change mouse cursors in Gnome (video link). These are not just a simple change in settings but are not far from that, either. Some Gnome settings are not reachable out of the box hence an installation of gnome-tweak-tool is required. I like Aero theme, as described here, so I already have it in the list of cursor themes in the tweak tool.
While the first part of the setup works ok, the second one is a problem because I don't have Compiz installed. However, after a minute or two I noticed the cursors appeared on new windows. So everything works just fine even without restarting.

Instructions:

Install:
gnome-tweak-tool
oxygen-cursor-theme
oxygen-cursor-theme-extra

Open Advanced Settings (gnome-tweak-tool)
Select new cursor theme

Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T)
sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

Press Alt+F2
compiz --replace
(Alternatively reboot if compiz --replace doesn't work) 

To undo the changes simply repeat all the commands above but choose DMZ-White Cursor theme.

Edit: I noticed that in Fedora 16 the default Gnome GUI is Shell, not Classic, and it does not use Compiz. Trying installing Compiz and running 'compiz --replace' crashed Gnome. For now I don't want to spend too much time just to get different mouse cursors.
There are also full Gnome Shell themes out there but I'm currently happy with the way my desktop looks and feels.

No comments: