Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

"Search failed to initialize" in Vista

I have started getting the message "Search failed to initialize" when I use my Vista Windows Search in the Start menu.
First time the issue was solved by rebuilding the search index and running the Windows Search service again to reindex all the locations. But, soon afterwards the search stopped again. Maybe it was because my Vista just hangs for no apparent reason I can think of, forcing me to turn off the computer, which probably just makes things worse.
Second time, running "sfc /scannow" in the command prompt fixed the issue. After the verification the message stated that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Nonetheless, the search started working again. The windows search service remain stopped, meaning it just won't index the watched folders and locations but it will search the Start Menu, which is all I need at the moment.

No comments: