Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

PerfectDisk 2008 Boot-Time Defragmentation Not Working

When attempting to perform a boot time or offline

I tried to perform a boot-time defragmentation of the system drive with PerfectDisk 2008 but it failed complaining about non-compatible driver and being unable to lock the system drive.
Fortunately, software has an option of scanning the system to find known incompatible issues and help in fixing them. In my case it reported sptd.sys. Using that as a keyword I was able to find the above page in the Support section. Reading through that, I realized I had more than one issue...
  1. SPTD is a driver used by Daemon Tools. Updated driver, that does not lock the system drive during boot-time, can be downloaded from here.
  2. Comodo Firewall. Registry entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\inspect.sys\Start", contrary to the support article, contained 3. This one is changed manually using RegEdit.
Unfortunately, handling both of these issues did not help at all. Still can't do boot-time defragmentation.

Update:
I finally found some time to fix this issue. The resolution is listed in a new post - here.

No comments: